Monday, December 28, 2009

Good News of Great Joy

Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Jesus Christ the Lord.


Whoot to that!

When I think about Christmas I am so thankful. You see, Jesus came to this place to make things new. And that he did. Israel had been waiting. A long time. But when the time had come, the perfect time, the hope of their longings turned to pure joy! In form of a baby boy. Some believed, some didn’t, yet all had to hope. Their long due Messiah was finally here. The hope of salvation could finally be here. Arriving not as the powerful King they were looking for, but in the quiet slumber of a child. And while it was different than thought, the hope of peace filled them full, and a joy covered the people.

The good news of Jesus, to us, is great joy! That baby grew up. The life of Jesus, as he walked this earth, brought love and healing to a broken and thrashed world. The humanity of Jesus to us, is comfort and consolation when we are tempted to despair. The death of Jesus is a payment for our sin and a declaration of God’s unmerited, abounding, horribly awesome love. And Christ’s resurrection is the power of victory, the hope of salvation, and the promise of his return. Now that’s joy if I’ve ever known it.

So now I wait. Not hopelessly! Oh, contrare! You see, I’ve seen the King! And he’s beautiful! I’ve been graciously mobilized to live fully in great hope and abundant joy that Jesus, one beautiful day, will return again. And in glorious power will snatch me from this place and set me in eternity with him. Oh Patty, Heavenly Day it will be! But, while I wait, I live! You see, the enemy came to kill, steal and destroy, but my King came to give me life! Abundant life. And I haven’t got time to waste. People need to be loved. They need to see Jesus. And I am convinced that seeing Jesus, for who he really is, changes everything!

Jesus has come people!! REJOICE!! Good news of GREAT JOY has come... and he saved the world.

Merry Christmas to you. And as a dear friend told me earlier, Christmas Day was so big we needed an eve to celebrate its full awesomeness. So, Merry Christmas Eve... may you see Jesus today and be changed! While we celebrate his coming, we long for and hope in the day he will come again and made ALL THINGS new! What a glorious day!

So live. FULLY!
...maybe today Lord!

No comments: