Sunday, March 23, 2008

Lord

I was struck this weekend with the idea of God's Lordship over my life. I don't doubt that it's the sustenance by which i have breath and life and being, but i wonder if i attribute, to the degree He's due, all of that to Him. As this Passion weekend crept up on me, i found myself assigned to write a creed on the character of God. Who exactly is the God I serve? What is his character? So I sat in a coffee shop for hours on end mending and perfecting my condensed, concise, comprehensive, yet inexhaustible description of the God i serve; scared that i would omit something crucial, and that if an unbeliever read my statement they would get a picture of a God... maybe of the one i serve, but not the one of the Bible. I didn't want to put him in a box. I wanted his glory, a beautiful manifestation of his character, to shine through my creed. But what i painfully omitted was his Lordship. That his is ruler of everything, every detail, and has complete control. Not that i intentionally forgot, but it wasn't something on the forefront of my mind. So i asked myself, how could you forget something so crucial, so essential to the character of God. My answer has to be that maybe i'm not accepting it in my life. As much as i agree with it as i read in Grudem or when I'm in discussion, unless it is actively worked out in my life, it is meaningless to me. So as i sat in the Good Friday service, and even in chapel on wednesday, i was reminded that my Lord took on human flesh, and it was my sin that drove him to the cross. It was my pride, my lust, my envy, my hate, my jealousy, ill intentions, lies, idols, my self-everything....that spat upon his face, that mocked his Royalty, that beat him blue, that nailed him to a tree. How could my Lord die for me? Why? My masks temporarily hide my self-righteousness, but i am dirty and unworthy. Why me? But as i sat there taking all of this in... i realized that the Lordship of Christ wasn't lost on that Good Friday, but rather it was in perfect sync. Though it seemed as if he were defeated, it was all a part of his divine plan. He was awaiting Sunday. Sunday is where hope is found... true hope. Hope that the Lordship of Christ means what he says it does. That His promises are true. His Word is true. What He tells me is trustworthy. That his is orchestrating every detail to perfection. His perfect Lordship over humanity and creation... even in the small workings of my life are true and good. Whether i choose to acknowledge it or not. God is working out the details of my life... whether i choose to accept him as Lord over them is a choice i have to make. Christ raised from the dead. He rose victoriously to defeat the sting of death and reigns as Lord. He is all powerful, all-mighty, all knowing, and all good... so why wouldn't i desire his Lordship? Fear. Fear that even though he's provided everything, that he'll miss the minor details. But today... Sunday... i was joyously reminded that the tomb was empty. He did exactly what he said he was going to do to the utmost perfection. His plan, though it seemed thwarted, was left unchanged. The empty tomb has relinquished all fear. Christ is risen. He is alive. Defeated the sting of death and the fear of abandon. He is Lord. He is in control... of creation... and the small details of my life. Though i question him at times... proclaiming the Lordship of Christ over my life means acknowledging that without him i am nothing and that He provides the clarity, and guidance, and provision that i need. He is Lord...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.