Saturday, June 21, 2008

I almost died today...

This morning Mary, Jessie and I went on a hike on the Alpine Trail. Since Jessie and I have been learning how to drive stick... Todd let us take the camp truck up there!! It was my first time driving stick... up a mountain road. A little nerve wrecking... but we made it. It was such a perfect day to hike!
So... the trail was pretty intense. The first time we hiked it we only made it maybe 1/3 of the way up... and the next 2/3 were pretty steep and rocky. We were panting pretty hard... but we heard the view from the top is extraordinary, so we were set on making it to the top! So we did... and as we were reaching the top, we noticed a smaller, offshoot trail to some rock formations. We decided to check them out! WOW!! The view was extraordinary!

So... these rock formations... Jessie started to climb over to them... and thought that we could probably work our way around them... and if we could... the view from the other side would probably be pretty amazing. So she started over. And made it... and i could just watch her... so i followed suit.

What i have to mention is that the rock was really gravelly. It was really loose... so we were slipping around a lot. So.. i was taking it slow and i made it over to her. Then... i wanted to move over to where she was sitting... around the corner of that ledge... so i put one foot on a "steady rock" and then grabbed a rock with my hand to pull myself up and around. Well... both of these thought to be steady rocks crumbled in my hand as i pulled myself up... and both gave way. I the guess natural tendency for such things is to throw your body in the opposite direction... so that's what happened. And i landed... somewhat planted on steady rock. I laughed pretty hard... and Jessie thought i almost died. Well... i kind of almost did. The drop below where we were climbing was steep... but i guess a tree might have caught me! haha!
So as we were sitting up there... and after my heart stopped pounding and my hands stopped shaking... i looked over at Jessie and was like " I think my Mom just might kill me if she knew where i was right now! "
haha...



It was a good morning!!

No comments: