Sunday, June 1, 2008

Life in the Woods

So i've had my first encounters with life in the woods.
Note to self... scented lotion= bad idea. Bad idea= mosquito bites. Mosquito bites= itchy nogoodness. Since i spend most of my day outside trekkin' in the woods with the kids... i've gotten several bites. I HATE MOSQUITO BITES! They must like my California sweetness or something! : ) haha
We also found bear scat right outside of our lodge. And some boys said they saw one on the trail... so... we have bears. AWESOME possum! Actually awesome bear... but that doesn't rhyme.
I also went running the other morning and ran up on some sleeping deer, who, startled by my noise, hurried across the road like 15 feet in front of me! CRAZY!
Lastly a short story for my frequent readers.
Last night was campfire nite. After star gazing and putting out the fire my fellow interns and i headed to our cabin to sleep. So Jessie, who sleeps next to me, Mary, who sleep in the loft above us, and I went to bed. Coz and Kati were in the other room in Coz's loft, talking. RIght as I was falling asleep... giggling and screaming came from the other room. My thought was, they going to be all rowdy... not so much. The door opens. "Is anyone awake in here" Jessie: "No"... Sarah: "kind of"...Coz and Kati: "THERE'S A DEAD MOUSE IN THE LOFT". So we jump out of bed and run up there... only to be met with the stench of rotting nastiness. Coz thought it was her laundry... but when the smell continuously got worse... she decided to look for something dead. Yup... there it was... in the trap, dead and all. SICK. Jessie... the wonder-outdoors-women of us all took it and threw it outside. So... i guess it's said that where there's one mouse there are probably others... i'm not a fan of that. We did post cabin check today after our guests left and we had to reset mouse traps.... those suckas are stinkin' scary to set.
Anyway, today i went fishing for crawfish in the lake with some kiddos... you know using some plastic cups and what not. We caught two and a fish... and saw a water snake! that was pretty awesome!
Welp... there's my update on life in the woods.

No comments: